A follow up to THIS post…
I’m on the straight up best trip down memory lane. EVER.
I’m about to age myself. Bad. And make some of you feel old… but more so make some of you feel real young as I’m sure some of these songs came out when you were in diapers - or even - [cue the gasp] not even born!
The following have been played on the Montell Jordan Pandora Station:
- Cupid - 112: Ah. My 8th grade boyfriend and I’s song; my first love, JG. And kiss! I started CRACKING up when I heard this song. Last I heard he lived in Seattle somewhere pursuing a dream of being a chef - something he DEF should do.
- Too Close - Next: Eighth grade dances. Need I say more? I request this at every single friend’s wedding. It’s like a tradition by now. I might even dance to it at my own wedding - first dance? OH SNAP.
- Thong Song - Sisqo: Honestly, I had to look up how to spell his name. High school: JR and me in Freshman year science class - it’s how we met and started talking. Super presh, guys; friends ever since. I should call that guy and get an update on life and his crazy girlfriend. I also believe this was the song that ushered in the fashion statement of wearing our thongs above our jean lines so all the boys could see them. Hahaha! And to think I always thought I was an angel. No wonder my dad vetoed every outfit I tried to wear to school.
- Anytime - Brian McKnight: I loved this song because at the time, I thought I knew what heart break was. Touche heart, touche.
- Gin and Juice - Snoop Dogg
- Don’t Leave Me - Blackstreet: We (EW & I) used to sing this at the top of our lungs in the mirror while pretending we were performers. I regret nothing!
- All My Life - Kci & Jojo: More eighth grade dances.
- Same Ol’G - Ginuwine: You guys - he had his own CD and he may have been on TV - but he’s the same old G.
- Ghetto SuperStar - Nas, Mya, & ODB: Volleyball camp. Spandex short and knee pads… flirting with the UO football players. Oh dear.
- No Diggity - Blackstreet: I don’t even know where to start. I’m pretty sure this was one my first exposures to hip hop.
- Gangsta’s Paradise - Coolio: I tried to spell it ‘gangster’s’. I’m such a prep. I remember jamming to this is K(S)C’s basement in overalls and flannel t-shirts. (From Seattle guys, it was inevitable flannel would come into play - grunge era.) In grade school, we also picked which gang we were in: Bloods or Crypts. I was a blood. I can still do the hand signals…
- Creep - TLC: OMG. YOU GUYS. TLC CRAZY SEXY COOL WAS MY FIRST CD. FIRST. I GOT SUPER EXCITED JUST NOW!!!
- Pony - Ginuwine: I… I… I never realized how sexual this song was. It’s the first time I’ve heard it in years. Damn…
- Nice & Slow - Usher
- Doin’ It - LL Cool J: I feel naughty listening to this at work. Like everyone can hear my headphones and everyone is staring at me.
- Billie Jean - Michael Jackson: Nothing else needs to be said about this except I danced to it while I was in diapers - and it was a few years old then…
- My Way - Usher: Another dancing in the mirror track. Also learned how to ‘freak dance’ in eighth grade to this one. God. That is so embarrassing. Around this song release, I was thoroughly convinced I was going to marry Usher. I danced with him once - kinda - I was dancing with my best friend - he was staring. We felt special.
- Summertime - Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
- Where the Party At - Jagged Edge
- If Your Girl Only Knew - Aaliyah
Okay - I’m done with this list. I need to focus. It’s been a swell 9 hours Tumblr draft, but it’s time to share you.